Monday, November 24, 2014

Becoming Something Different

I thought that the message that this piece had was very clear: being bilingual does not mean lesser ability. I very much agree that there is no clear or right way on how to teach and assess ELL students and the overall representation of them in special education is awful. Esme was extremely capable, it was nothing more than a language barrier giving her trouble. However what really needs to be understood is that a language barrier and an learning disability are two very different things. I was saddened by the lack of support for Esme , and lack of pushing her to do do better, and to realize her true potential. I feel as though the school held her back. I can understand Esme’s reasoning for wanting the easy classes… being able to do so well without struggle. Going from needing help to giving help is a very rewarding experience. However, I feel that student should be encouraged to want more for themselves, not to settle for less. It was really interesting watching Esme’s aggravation with her Mexican heritage as she tried to fit in more, to turn that heritage into more of a respected part of her. I could really see how trying to find that even ground could be very difficult. Here in America we Americanize everything. I was sad in the end that Esme wasn’t able to stay and graduate, as I found myself connecting with her in the end. I really believed she was going to graduate and do great things. Although she still may, I can imagine the transition back to Mexico was difficult, especially after she built so many great relationships here, and blended another culture with her own. This was a great article on the inequalities in education, and on our lack of cultural acceptance in this country.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment